Wednesday 23 September 2015

Time for my sponsored run.....

When I lay paralysed in a hospital bed in December 2013, laid low by a stroke which almost killed me when I collapsed in the middle of a busy road, I determined that when/if I got healthy-ish, I would do something to raise money for a stroke-survivor charity.

In the months since then, there have been a number of false starts and my plans have changed in a number of ways. But now the transport is booked, the hotel room for overnight accommodation is booked and at 11.30am on Sunday morning, I will stand on the starting line to do a 5km run (well, I'll run some of it....) to raise money for Different Strokes (differentstrokes.co.uk).

If you've looked at my donation page at http:uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MartinWarrillow, or you know my background, you might be aware that this is no ordinary 5km run. It's the nude run held twice a year by the Naturist Foundation in Orpington, Kent. Yes, I'll be doing this entirely nude (weather permitting). I probably won't even wear running shoes, because most of my training, with the amazing Emily Smedley, has been done barefoot.

This fact hasn't put off my sponsors or Different Strokes (yes, I did ask DS beforehand....) and in fact it might have inspired some of my supporters to dig a little deeper into their wallets. Obviously, decent weather is going to be important but I'm told by the organisers that the forecast for the day is mainly dry and clear. If it isn't, my DS T-shirt might come in handy....

Am I capable of doing this? Well, several months under Emily's tender care has taught me the importance of not over-thinking these things - just go out and do it. Emily keeps telling me that my body is capable, I just have to get my mind to agree. When you consider that I only threw away my walking stick for good two months ago, though, the fact that I'm doing it at all might be considered remarkable.

I do know that the support of fellow athletes on the day will be key and I expect to have a picture in my mind of all the agonising hours spent on Emily's treatment table in preparation for this, as well as the time spent running around the football pitch at Derby College and around the Castle Grounds in Tamworth.

Of course, the aim is to get to the finishing line in whatever way possible and to be able to present the all-important cheque to DS. Any money raised will go to help with the upkeep of their Facebook group, a fabulous group with over 2,000 members which is an invaluable means of support and help for stroke-survivors of all ages.

There will be pictures, although I'm not sure at this stage what form they will take. There will also be a full report at www.askthewarrior.com next week. If you want to donate at http:uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MartinWarrillow, the page won't close until some time after the run, so there is plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment