Wednesday 21 October 2015

Getting back on the networking horse

Regular readers will know that I'm a keen business networker, mostly as a member of 4Networking. Among other things, it raises my profile and the profile of the work I do in stroke support and education. Having been on the leadership teams of local 4N groups for three years, I've had to rein in my networking to a fair degree over the last few months because of my health issues.

But I was asked this week if I would join a new team to run the group in Lichfield, Staffordshire. As I won't be leading the group itself, just helping to run meetings, drum up interest and take admission money (among other things), I've agreed. I get on well with the new group leader, Ben Birchall, who runs an HR consultancy called Progression, so I think the team will work nicely.

The new team starts at the meeting on Thursday October 29 and I will be doing a talk about my recent run to raise money for stroke-survivor charity Different Strokes. If you're a 4N member, it would be great to see you there. If you're not and you are a business owner yourself, why not come along and find out what 4N's all about (and hear me speak, of course!)? To find out more about how 4N works, go to the website at www.4networking.biz.

Aside from that, which I see as another important step in my post-stroke rehabilitation, it's been another busy, up-and-down, week. On the plus side, I've been talking to a fellow stroke-survivor about possibly liaising on an e-book while I'm grateful to a lady I know in America, whose husband is a strokie, for suggesting that I write and self-publish a short novel. Hopefully, both ideas will be under way shortly.

College on Monday evening was slightly brain-twisting (not a good idea for a strokie, lol) but very rewarding, while Tuesday's session with ‪#‎breathebalancebeactivated‬ Emily was definitely of the 'if it's not hurting, it's not working' variety.

On the down side of the week, I was again reminded several times just how life as a stroke-survivor makes the mundane things in life annoyingly difficult at times. It wasn't that cold at Tamworth FC's Lamb ground on Saturday afternoon for the National League North clash with Solihull Moors, but the fact that my blood-thinning tablets leave me constantly cold made the terraces feel like the North Pole, making it near-impossible to concentrate on the game. Memo to self: Time to ditch the denim hooded jacket in favour of the thick waterproof 'football manager' coat with the 27 pockets and the several layers of warming material......

Then, there was my seemingly un-ending battle with fatigue. On at least three occasions this week, I have had to give up on the day and go to sleep for a couple of hours at downright inconvenient times while on at least two others, failure to do so has left me feeling as washed-out as an old rag.

Indeed, Mrs W and I were out on Tuesday evening with fellow members of a stroke-support group we attend when the former NHS team leader who runs the group told Carmel: "He's too tired, get him home and straight to sleep." And when Dawn tells you something, you stay told, believe me.....

One of these weeks, I will get a handle on the fatigue which plagues all stroke-survivors and as I wrote here last week, threatens my working future. This week, however, wasn't it.


No comments:

Post a Comment