Wednesday 18 March 2015

It's all happening at Warrior Towers

It's been an interesting week at Warrior Towers. On Monday afternoon, the Warrior tattoo which I mentioned a couple of weeks ago was inked onto my left forearm. It took the best part of two hours to do but Jen Moore of Nala in Tamworth did a fabulous job and I'm really pleased with it.

All the credit for it, of course, should go to my dear friend, fellow stroke-survivor and Warrior, 18-year-old Jade Driscoll-Batchelor, who designed and drew it. I'm really pleased with it and I thought I'd risk losing my whole blog (well, you know me and technology...) by featuring it here.

The picture's a bit indistinct because it was taken when my arm was still wrapped in cellophane straight after it was done but I think it does the job. If you can't read it properly, the words say: "I fight for my health every day in ways most people don't understand. I'm not lazy, I'm a warrior."

I'm dedicating it to all disabled people, stroke-survivors in particular and especially to the remarkable Jade.
Then on Monday night, my interview with BBC Radio WM was broadcast. Now I've no idea how many people listen to WM at 11.30pm on a Monday but the wonders of the internet mean it's probably a lot more than it used to be. The BBC iPlayer means it can be heard on the web for a month after broadcast so if you're reading this in the month after March 16, this is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02kvkyl. I start about 90 minutes in to the broadcast.

As I said last week, I felt I said everything I wanted to say and got my points across without talking too fast. I still hate listening to myself on the radio, though. 

Taking a step back to Saturday, I was interviewed by a young film-maker and photographer from Bristol called Amy Baker, who is doing a university project about naturism. Obviously, I did a fair number of these kinds of interviews when I was editor of British Naturism so I know what to say and how to say it. But some interviewers have a pre-determined view of naturism before they start - I don't think Amy did. She is going to let me know when the project is finished and I'll be fascinated to hear the results. 

On Tuesday, of course, it was St Patrick's Day. With Mrs Warrior's family being Irish, this always means a bit too much Guinness and Jameson's. It's fun, but I do wake up with a sore head the following day. 

And that's not wise because March 18 (today as I write this) is my birthday. My 51st birthday. But as I keep saying, age is just a number and you're as old as you think you are. And (unless I'm having one of my bad strokie days) I don't feel 51. Honestly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment