Tuesday 10 March 2015

An inspiration? That's for you to say, not me - I just get on with it

Firstly, a spot of self-promotion, if I may. In my last post, I noted that this blog wasn't far away from achieving 1,000 page-views; not bad, considering that I only began writing on December 16, 2014, the first anniversary of my stroke.

Well, we've got there; I've just checked the latest stats and we are into four figures, which does suggest to me that someone apart from myself and Mrs Warrior cares about my stroke-related ramblings.

There was, of course, evidence of that at the end of my last post when I revealed that my local radio station had been in touch. Well, I spoke with Graham Torrington of BBC Radio West Midlands last Thursday evening and the interview should be broadcast in the week beginning Sunday March 15. I've been told that they will let me know the date and that they will also put on their website the details of how to contribute to some of the key charities who have supported me in my various battles.

I won't spoil the interview other than to say that I didn't gabble, I didn't forget to mention any key points and I didn't fall into any journalistic traps that I could see.

I'll put a special post on here before and after the broadcast.

The Derby Telegraph photographer I mentioned here last week fell victim to 'organisational cock-up' syndrome and his visit has been rescheduled for two weeks' time, by the way.

In the meantime, I gave a presentation on difference and diversity to my colleagues on the counselling-skills course last Wednesday. I spoke about being disabled, I spoke about being born with  spina bifida and hydrocephalus, I spoke about having epilepsy - and I spoke about being a keen naturist and having edited a leading naturist magazine for four years (I now write a monthly column on disability and naturism for another magazine).

Words like 'inspirational' were being bandied around afterwards. That's for others to say, not me; I just get on with life the best I can. But if, by my various media activities, I can help others make the best of lives which might seem blighted in some way, I'll be a happy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment