Wednesday 8 July 2015

Remember the Twickenham Streaker?

Are you old enough to remember Erika Roe? I was an 18-year-old schoolboy when she took off her bra at Twickenham during an England rugby international, ran out of the crowd and sprinted on to the pitch.

The subsequent picture of this buxom brunette, arms flung high in the air and her substantial 34G assets exposed to the January air, became an iconic image. In the days before the internet, nudity was far less common in the media and the newspapers delighted in publishing pictures of the topless Erika.

At the time, she was 24 and worked in a bookshop; she later became a farmer and 'came out of retirement' this year by posing topless for a 2015 calendar to raise money for breast-cancer charities.

Having lost my mother ridiculously early to that horrible disease, I never miss a chance to support such charities and a copy of Erika's calendar, entitled "The Twickenham Streaker' now adorns the wall in the spare bedroom at Warrillow Towers.

It may seem a little late in 2015, but you can still purchase copies at erikaroe.com. Even if you just pay the money and throw the calendar in the bin (I hope you won't throw it in the bin, though), it's worth £12.

This month's picture is a re-creation of another iconic image, one which adorned the bedroom wall of many a teenage boy in the '70s and 80's. If I simply say 'tennis', an awful lot of men of a certain age should know what I mean.......

The reason I've concentrated on Erika and her assets this week is that were I to talk about my week, much of it would be awkward and depressing - and I wouldn't want that. Hopefully, next week, which includes the 2nd birthday party of a close friend's son, will be considerably better.

I'll close with one bit of good news. This week, 'The Warrior' passed 3,000 hits since it first took to the internet last December. I'd like to thank everyone who has shown an interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment