Wednesday 11 February 2015

Getting the most out of every day - even though it may not be wise at times

One of the things I've learned about being a strokie with a fairly-substantial social media presence is that I have more people than I sometimes think looking out for my welfare.

Take this week, for instance. On Monday, I travelled to Derby for more punishment from my sports therapist, the amazing Emily Smedley of breathebalancebeactivated.com. And punishment is the right word after she did something to my jaw which I don't wholly understand but which may have been the most painful thing I've ever experienced. And that was before she had me doing sit-ups whilst she knelt on the physio couch beside me. It worked, though, because I walked away from her clinic without sticks, with my head up and looking forward to my next session in two weeks' time.

After that, I should have had a quiet day on Tuesday. But being me, I didn't. And I said so on Facebook. "Seeing a lady I met at a recent networking event this morning at 11.30, seeing my public-speaking coach at 2pm then some former colleagues for beers at 5pm. And I need to write my blog. And pay some bills. That'll do for today, I think," I said. 

It looked a daunting schedule as I was writing that status. Throw in the usual hitches that we all experience in our days (unexpected phone calls, things we've forgotten to account for) and by 11am, it was a lot worse. And almost immediately, the comments started coming in on Facebook. "Full-on day :( 'Have a rest day tomorrow.' ''That's too much.'' ''Be careful you don't overdo it." ''Don't wear yourself out and regret it." 

Both my public-speaking coach and the lady from the networking event told me afterwards that I should have cancelled. Maybe I should. But I'm not like that, so I carried on. I enjoyed the day but today (Wednesday) I will do no more than write this blog post then rest before my college course this evening.

I know I shouldn't have done yesterday, but my problem still is that I only know I've done too much when I've done too much. And I was sustained through yesterday by a comment from the networking lady who had heard me speak about my stroke experience at the event where we met. "One of the most emotional things I've ever heard," she said. 

And if I can keep getting the message about stroke across to people like her - and my friends who hear and appreciate it tell their friends who tell their friends - the occasional full-on day like yesterday will be more than worth it.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment