Friday 7 August 2015

Going back to an office after six years

This was the week when the light at the end of our financial tunnel may have begun to look less like an onrushing train.

That it came about was another tribute to the power of networking - of knowing as many people as you can, of keeping in touch with as many people as possible and acting quickly when the window of opportunity opens.

Last Thursday, I received an unexpected email from a former colleague. Although we haven't met in person for a while, we have stayed in contact and he knows of my medical situation

He was writing to say that he had been doing some freelance sub-editing work for a newspaper in our area, but was unavailable to them during August. They needed help, so he had recommended me; he didn't need to do that, did he?

He gave me the contact details of the man to speak to and I immediately fired off a CV and covering letter, expressing my interest and explaining my circumstances. Within two hours, they had replied. Could I come in for a chat and a 'trial' this Monday?

So, I was up early on Monday morning to catch a train and work in an office for the first time since December 2009. I was wary because of my stroke-made ability to get tired very quickly. The last thing I wanted to do was fall asleep across my desk.

But the four-hour 'trial' we had agreed went smoothly from my view (they didn't throw any of my work back in my face, lol) and when I got home, I found an email offering me four afternoons a week for the next three weeks through August, with the possibility of more after that.

Sadly,  I didn't feel I could do four afternoons for two reasons; firstly, the physical toll it was likely to take and secondly, the rate they were offering would put me well over the amount I'm permitted to earn while still retaining all of my benefits from the Department of Work and Pensions.

If I could guarantee this work as long-term and permanent, I could probably do without those. But it isn't and I can't. So we've agreed two afternoons a week through August and 'we'll talk about' what happens after that.

What it is, though, is a foot in the door; proof that I can still do 'proper' work as I used to before all this happened. It doesn't solve our problems but it's money we didn't have previously and that can only be good.

Talking of money, the fundraising page for my 5km run to raise money for stroke-survivor charity Different Strokes is now live. It's at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MartinWarrillow and I'd be grateful if you'd take a look. If you feel able to donate, that would be even better.

1 comment: