Tuesday 17 February 2015

It's Saturday afternoon, of course I'm not tired......

"How come you're never tired at 2pm on a Saturday?" It's a valid question, I suppose and it's one Mrs W always asks whenever I tell my tales of woe about stroke-related tiredness.

It's true that the thought of a few hours with my mates, a few beers (but not too many, thanks to my medication) and a football match does take my mind off the world of strokie-dom; When I started watching Tamworth FC again after my stroke at the start of the current season, my fatigue was such that I could only stand on the terraces with my mates for 45 minutes before I had to retreat to the seats. Now, I can stand up for the whole game and enjoy the camaraderie that comes from football.

My footy mates have played a key part in my ongoing rehabilitation. They look after me on a Saturday afternoon, make sure I get a seat in the pub pre-game, organise a taxi to the ground, make sure I'm not getting too tired during the afternoon and, crucially, get me home safely at the end of the game.

And I must also give a mention to everyone at Tamworth FC, who have really shown the spirit which is at the heart of non-league football. Supporters and officials alike all know what's happened, so everyone ensures I'm treated properly. I know it isn't like that for all disabled people at all football grounds, but it certainly is at Tamworth.

However, it's a good job the Lambs weren't at home this past Saturday; because for the first time since my stroke, I was indeed tired on Saturday afternoon. I'd had an interrupted night's sleep on Friday and it hit me hard, as it sometimes does.

At 2pm this Saturday, all I wanted to do was sleep. We had a Valentine's Day meal to look forward to in the evening, so I needed to be awake. With all the recent warnings I've had about managing my fatigue ringing in my head, I retired to bed for a hour; and as it always does, the power-nap did the job. I was awake enough to join Mrs W and Rascal, our chihuahua, on a walk in the park. And I was fit for the evening and the rest of the weekend.

This Saturday? Tamworth v Oxford City at The Lamb. Oxford broke Tamworth's 12-game run of league wins in the reverse fixture three weeks ago. I won't be falling asleep at 2pm this Saturday, whatever Mrs W says.....

No comments:

Post a Comment